Monday, June 2, 2008

Gardening in the City

I've been having those cravings...you know the ones to stick your hands into nice, rich, cool soil? Yup, those'd be the ones! LOL :o) We've been praying for the Lords way and will regarding a homestead, but unfortunately even if we closed quickly on a house, we wouldn't be able to put in a garden this year. Which leads us back to the ghetto gardens! :o)

The term "ghetto garden" was one a friend of my husbands came up with last year.... and we've lovingly adopted it! (Not offended at all) When you live in the city, opportunities to have a garden are limited. Last summer, my resourceful husband brought home some wooden boxes and we filled them with soil and seeds...voila! The ghetto garden was born. We had most of our salad fixin's for the summer with a few more things for "fun". This year, we'll plant the boxes and pray that if we aren't here to enjoy them, that they'll be a blessing for the next tenants.

On top of our little box gardens, I'm also working on some herb buckets. I really wanted to start cooking with fresh herbs (and trying to budget better.. sure can't afford to buy them! :o) and space in the garden boxes are at a premium so I ended up purchasing some inexpensive planters at Wal-mart. Now, I can bring the herbs with me when we move and inside when the weather grows cold.

I'm planning on planting : Peppermint, chamomile, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme...and I can't remember the rest! :o) (I'm hoping to make some of my own teas and such with the chamomile and peppermint.)

No comments: